PDX Veg

Monday, September 26, 2005

Historical high bar: Couvron

To avoid giving any current restaurant the fame or ignominy of being first, let's pour some liquor for a restaurant that last I heard shuffled off to New York to play in the big leagues.* I wish them well, although I kept thinking "big fish in small pond becomes small fish in big pond." Couvron offered the best 7 course vegetarian meals I have ever had, including wine pairings designed for the vegetarian dishes. I see some reviewer comments on eGullet and elsewhere that service remains a bit slow, but for the price, I wasn't looking for fast food. Given the troubles we have had getting vegetarian food in some of the nicer restaurants in town (and I assure you, I will name names), Couvron was a delight. What's more, the hostess (Maura) was very helpful on a few occasions, and never made me feel like I was not old or rich enough to be in her restaurant. we repaid that kindness by going back as often as we could afford.

* Update: sure enough, a bit more searching shows that Couvron New York has closed. Looks like the rap was that it was too pricey for the neighborhood and didn't compete with other high-price establishments like Daniel.

2 Comments:

  • Maybe Couvron will return to Portland? Oh how I miss it ...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:39 AM  

  • Me too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home